The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Saturday, December 23, 2006
"Alarmingly, one of every seven arrests our police make today is for someone violating bail conditions.
That indicates our "catch and release" criminal justice system must be overhauled".
"Steyn's most recent book, America Alone, is a huge bestseller in the United States. But it has been ignored by the Canadian media except for the National Post publishing excerpts from it over a five-day period following the book's publication.
It is a loss for Canadians to be deprived of Steyn's razor sharp intellect and prolific writings as he explains the rotten drift of politics in our time.One of the themes Steyn has made his own is the relationship between demography and politics in the advanced and aging democracies, of which Canada is one. Apart from demographers poring over statistics, few people -- and none in politics striving for high offices -- ponder the effects population change will have over time on national policy across a whole range of issues from old age pension to health care, crime to national security."
"So how, aside from killing jihadist terrorists, can we defend ourselves against the insidious spread of radical Islam? Here are a few starting suggestions:
(1) Bluntly identify radical Islam as fascistic -- without worrying whether some Muslims take offense when we will talk honestly about the extremists in their midst.
(2) At the same time, keep encouraging consensual governments in the Middle East and beyond that could offer people security and prosperity, while distancing ourselves from illegitimate dictators, especially in Syria and Iran, that promote terrorists.
(3) Establish that no more autocracies in the Middle East and Asia will be allowed to get the bomb.
(4) Seek energy independence that would collapse the world price of oil, curbing petrodollar subsidies for terrorists and our own appeasement of their benefactors.
(5) Appreciate the history and traditions of a unique Western civilization to remind the world that we have nothing to apologize for but rather much good to offer to others.
(6) Finally, keep confident in a war in which our will and morale are every bit as important as our overwhelming military strength. The jihadists claim we are weak spiritually, but our past global ideological enemies -- Nazism, fascism, militarism and communism -- all failed. And so will they."
"Along comes this story from the Associated Press: "Traditions are Important." That must shock them enough that they think it's worth doing a fairly long story about. "Tradition often trumps the trendy during the Christmas season. People send traditional Christmas cards through the mail far more than they send greeting cards by e-mail. Most people think it's OK to have Christmas decorations at public buildings, even though it occasionally draws protests and lawsuits." See? "Most people think it's OK to have Christmas decorations at public buildings, even though it occasionally draws protests and lawsuits," from The Offended. But clearly even though "most people" think it's okay. So we've got the tyranny of the minority that's being acknowledged here, and I detect -- you gotta read between the lines here. I know how to read the stitches on a fastball, and this little paragraph here that is the lede of the story: "Most people think it's OK to have Christmas decorations at public buildings," that shocks them."...